Ebola cases in Congo exceed 5,000, government data shows
The outbreak is the country’s deadliest on record, with no approved vaccine or treatment for the Bundibugyo strain, officials said.
- Following an emergency meeting on Tuesday, the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a global health emergency as cases surpassed 5,000. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that "the epidemic is far from being under control."
- Formally declared in May, the outbreak began spreading in February and is now the DRC's 17th on record. The Bundibugyo strain currently lacks an approved vaccine or treatment, significantly complicating containment efforts across the eastern region.
- As of August 16, the DRC public health ministry reported 5,021 cases and at least 2,378 deaths with a 47.4 per cent fatality rate. United Nation's humanitarian aid chief Tom Fletcher reported last week that a person is dying every 30 minutes.
- WHO officials announced the deployment of 100 additional epidemiologists and the addition of more than 400 beds over the past two weeks. Dr. Thierno Baldé emphasized engaging local communities to improve surveillance and response efforts.
- While vaccine trials are underway, officials caution these measures are not yet ready for wide-scale use. Dr. Joanne Liu of McGill University stressed that testing and contact tracing remain essential for containing the outbreak.
136 Articles
136 Articles
The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is facing the most deadly and voracious Ebola outbreak in its entire history. Three months after the Government formally declared the health emergency on 15 May with several weeks of delay that bore the initial response, the advance of the epidemic is out of control in the northern and eastern provinces of the country. The latest official data provided by the African Union Health Agency (Africa CDC) and…
The virus ja suma 2,476 morts i 5,208 cases mtre l'OMS claims more resources i menys dependència de l'ajuda exterior
World Health Organization Calls Congo’s Ebola Outbreak “Far From Under Control,” Cases Top 5,000 With a Fatality Rate of 47%
Already a subscriber? Make sure to log into your account before viewing this content. You can access your account by hitting the “login” button on the top right corner. Still unable to see the content after signing in? Make sure your card on file is up-to-date. The World Health Organization says Congo’s Ebola outbreak is nowhere near contained, with more than 5,000 confirmed cases and over 2,300 dead, putting it above every outbreak the cou…
More than 5,000 people have contracted the disease and 2,378 have died in an epidemic that is already the deadliest in its history and hits communities displaced by war
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 45% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

































