Congo to receive 70,000 doses of Ervebo Ebola vaccine which has been effective in past outbreaks
WHO said 20,000 doses will go to a Phase 3 trial and 50,000 to health workers as Congo battles a fast-spreading outbreak.
- On Thursday, the World Health Organization and partners announced that Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine, a critical step to contain the fastest-spreading Ebola outbreak in history.
- Driven by the rare Bundibugyo virus, the outbreak has resulted in 2,476 deaths among 5,208 confirmed cases, with the case fatality rate averaging 47.5% and reaching up to 70% in North Kivu province.
- The allocation includes 20,000 doses for a Phase 3 clinical trial to understand the vaccine's impact on Bundibugyo, with 50,000 doses reserved for frontline workers; early laboratory data suggest it might provide some protection.
- WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called the approval an "important example of global solidarity in action," while the International Coordinating Group will release doses immediately upon Congo's request.
- Experts note the virus is spreading three times faster than the 2014–2016 West Africa outbreak, which caused more than 11,000 deaths, and likely began spreading from the mining town of Mongbwalu as early as February.
74 Articles
74 Articles
The Democratic Republic of the Congo will receive 70 thousand doses of the Ervebo vaccine, which has been effective in previous Ebola outbreaks, reported today the World Health Organization (WHO) and its partners, announcing a step considered a great boost to efforts to contain what the authorities have described as the fastest Ebola outbreak in history. The Ervebo vaccine is authorized for use against the Ebola virus, one of the viruses that ca…
“It is not known whether Ervebo can be protective against the Bundibugyo virus in humans,” said WHO, emphasizing the importance of clinical trials to provide new evidence.
African Nation To Receive 70,000 Doses Of Ebola Vaccine – 100PercentFedUp.com – by Danielle
The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Thursday the allocation of 70,000 doses of an Ebola vaccine for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). “Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile, managed by the International Coordinating Group on Vaccine Provision (ICG). The request was for use of the vaccine in the cur…
DRC set to receive 70,000 Ebola vaccines, not approved for current strain, WHO says
Last week, the DRC had requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the global Ebola virus disease vaccine stockpile, managed by the International Coordinating Group (ICG) on Vaccine Provision.
DR Congo receives 70,000 Ebola vaccine doses for outbreak response
WHO experts say early evidence, including animal studies, suggests Ervebo could offer some protection—and the new trial will seek to establish whether that protection extends to humans.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 36% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


































