Trump to ease ground beef import quotas for 90 days
The move is meant to ease beef prices as the administration says the imports will help rebuild the U.S. herd.
- On Friday, President Donald Trump announced he had "concluded a deal" to import up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef into the United States over a 90-day period, aiming to lower prices for American families.
- Trump cited soaring beef prices and the decline of the Great American Beef Herd under President Biden as primary reasons for the import plan, which he claims will help ranchers rebuild domestic stocks.
- The 300,000 metric tons would account for nearly 15% of U.S. beef imports based on 4.4 billion pounds imported in 2025, with Trump stating a "commitment" that beef will be sold at 25 percent below current market prices.
- Former President Richard Nixon issued a similar directive in 1972 amid rising meat prices, while DTN Livestock Analyst ShayLe Stewart noted markets reacted positively once industry experts reviewed Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins' plan to revitalize the beef herd.
- The United States currently maintains a tariff-rate quota system for beef, with Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and Uruguay holding country-specific quotas while other eligible exporters compete within a pooled "Other Countries" quota.
21 Articles
21 Articles
Trump to ease ground beef import quotas for 90 days - Regional Media News
WASHINGTON, Aug 21 (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he would allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef to be imported without impacting tariff quotas as part of a 90-day deal aimed at lowering prices as U.S. consumers struggle with grocery bills. Trump, in a social media post, said he had "a commitment" that the meat would be sold at 25% below current market prices. He did not say which countries the beef was coming fr…
US President Donald Trump announced on Friday that the United States will allow duty-free imports of up to 300,000 tonnes of ground beef over the next 90 days to help lower prices for US consumers ahead of the upcoming election.
The president of the United States communicated the measure in networks to lower the price of this product for the industry; the Argentine government seeks clarifications while the sector closely follows the impact on exports
US President Donald Trump announced that a commitment had been secured to sell imported meat products at 25 percent below market price. By increasing imports to combat high food prices, the US administration aims to both reduce price pressure on consumers and give producers time to increase their domestic cattle population, which has fallen to historically low levels.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium




















