Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Carney asks premiers to put U.S. alcohol back on shelves amid trade deal talks: N.S. premier

Carney said the move could help clear a trade irritant as provinces weigh procurement rules that exclude U.S. suppliers, officials said.

  • On Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to request that provinces restock American alcohol on store shelves amid ongoing trade negotiations.
  • Most provinces banned American alcohol in early 2025 as a retaliatory measure, which the Trump administration cited as a primary justification for the proposed tariff plan alongside dairy management and auto quotas.
  • The Liquor Control Board of Ontario previously purchased $965 million in American alcohol annually, yet a Nanos poll reveals 69 per cent of Canadians would continue to boycott American products despite the pending deal.
  • Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston confirmed the request, but Premier Simpson remains skeptical, conditioning support on obtaining relief from existing United States tariffs on industrial products ranging from 10 to 50 per cent.
  • Unless officials reach a final agreement, 50 per cent tariffs on over 500 Canadian items are set to take effect following the three-day pause, threatening costs for goods ranging from dairy to hockey equipment.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

55 Articles

Lean Left

The return of U.S. alcohol to tablets is one of the key elements in the negotiations with the U.S. for an agreement.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
iPoliticsiPolitics
+4 Reposted by 4 other sources
Lean Left

Carney nearly begged premiers to put U.S. booze back on shelves to secure deal: Kinew

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he wishes Canada pushed harder against the U.S. in trade negotiations, but that he understands where Prime Minister Mark Carney is coming from in his bid to seal a deal.

·Ottawa, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 45% of the sources lean Left
45% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Province broke the news in British Columbia, Canada on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal