Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Quebec’s premier says Canada-US trade talks are ‘far from over’

Fréchette said Quebec will analyze the deal’s economic impact before restoring U.S. alcohol sales, as Canada and the United States near final terms.

  • Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette said Thursday that Prime Minister Mark Carney answered many of her questions about the emerging Canada-U.S. trade agreement, but she declined to endorse it while the province assesses its economic impact.
  • Negotiations aim to avert threatened 50% U.S. tariffs on about $20 billion of Canadian imports, postponed until Saturday, while addressing U.S. complaints regarding provincial alcohol restrictions.
  • Eight of Canada's 10 provinces restrict or ban American alcohol as retaliation for previous tariffs; the LCBO sold nearly $723 million of American products annually before pulling them from shelves last year.
  • Fréchette stated negotiations were "far from over," emphasizing that Quebec could restore U.S. alcohol sales only if the province's analysis finds the agreement positive.
  • President Donald Trump called the emerging agreement "very fair," while Dominic LeBlanc returned to Washington to finalize terms; Ontario Premier Doug Ford has not yet commented on the deal.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

17 Articles

Center

In Quebec, the ban has been in force in the SAQ since March 4.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
WKMGWKMG
+6 Reposted by 6 other sources
Center

Canadian provincial leader says Trump is a ‘bad person’ as Canada weighs concessions for trade deal

The premier of a Canadian province launched a blistering attack on U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday, calling him a “bad person” and “not to be trusted” and urging Canada to keep fighting rather than rush to make concessions in trade talks with Washington.

·Orlando, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 36% of the sources lean Left, 36% of the sources are Center
36% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

City News broke the news in Toronto, Canada on Thursday, August 20, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal