Hungary Paks nuclear plant could operate at full capacity by Wednesday, PM Magyar says
Emergency river works and rising Danube levels helped restart Unit 3, and the plant could return to full 2,000 megawatt output by Wednesday, Magyar said.
- On Sunday, Prime Minister Peter Magyar announced that Unit 3 of the Paks Nuclear Power Plant restarted late Saturday, with the facility potentially reaching full capacity by Wednesday.
- Record-Low water levels on the Danube forced the 2-gigawatt plant to cut output to just over 10% earlier this month, prompting emergency measures including sinking two barges and building a riverbed sill.
- Construction of the bottom sill is progressing with 231 metres completed along the left bank; workers installed nearly 4,000 cubic meters of stone, weighing 6,200 metric tons, to raise water levels by around 15 centimetres.
- Four of eight turbines are already producing electricity at the plant, with the minister emphasizing the work ensures "Hungarian households have electricity" and guarantees the country's nuclear safety.
- The facility currently produces about 800 megawatts while full restart efforts continue; the government approved the bottom sill on August 12, with people and machines working around the clock to finish the project.
37 Articles
37 Articles
Hungary's Paks nuclear power plant restarts Unit 3 as Danube water ...
Hungary's Paks nuclear power plant restarts Unit 3 as Danube water level rises
Hungary Paks nuclear plant could operate at full capacity by Wednesday, PM Magyar says
Hungary's Paks nuclear plant restarted its reactor 3 late on Saturday and the facility could be operating at full capacity by Wednesday, a day or two sooner than expected, Prime Minister Peter Magyar said on Sunday.
The Hungarian nuclear power plant (AKW) Paks started up its electricity production earlier than planned on Saturday evening. The increased Danube level and construction measures made it possible to secure cooling water and to restart operation, said Hungarian Prime Minister Péter Magyar. Initially, Block 3 had been put back into operation. Now, all four blocks should again supply electricity with a full capacity of 2000 megawatts (MW) by 28 Augu…
By the end of the week, all four blocks should once again supply electricity at full capacity and thus avert the impending energy crisis.
The Prime Minister announced on his social media page that the water level of the Danube had risen to a sufficient extent.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























