Gary Residents Wait for Power as NIPSCO Sets Target for Restoration
More than 300,000 NIPSCO customers lost power, and crews have restored electricity to 282,000 as officials work through widespread storm damage.
- Eight days after a historic storm devastated Northwest Indiana on August 11, thousands of Gary residents remain without power. Northern Indiana Public Service Company called it the largest outage in company history, affecting more than 300,000 customers.
- NiSource Group Utilities President Melody Birmingham stated the damage is extensive, requiring systems to be rebuilt rather than simple repairs. The company mobilized more than 1,200 additional mutual-aid crews and contractors to accelerate restoration efforts.
- City officials assessed 2,097 damage sites, with more than 80% involving fallen trees and blocked roads concentrated in Glen Park, Miller, Aetna, Midtown and Tolleston neighborhoods. Residents report significant financial strain, with some spending $900 on generators and fuel while managing utility bills.
- Gary Mayor Eddie Melton coordinated relief efforts, establishing food distribution at the Gospel Truth Apostolic Ministry and device charging stations at the YWCA. Eligible residents may also qualify for emergency grants of up to $5,000 for essential needs.
- NIPSCO estimates full restoration could take until next week, targeting August 25 for all remaining customers. The company cautions this timeline is an estimate and could change depending on the complexity of repair work ahead.
30 Articles
30 Articles
Indiana Power Outages: After More Than A Week Without Power, Gary Residents Turn To Social Media For Help
Source: Raymond Boyd / Getty The Indiana power outages have now stretched on for more than a week, affecting communities including Gary, Hobart, and several other cities across the region. As residents continue to wait for electricity to return, many are left wondering when their power will finally be restored. For now, the situation across Indiana remains complicated, with restoration timelines varying from one community to another. Notably, Ma…
Gary, Indiana, A Predominantly Black City, Has Thousands Without Power, Food And Water A Week After Deadly Storms
Thousands of Northwest Indiana residents may remain without power for several days following last week’s deadly storms that caused outages statewide. NIPSCO, Indiana’s utility company, reported that over 60% of its customers, or approximately 370,000 homes, lost power during the Aug. 11 storm following several days of severe weather, according to The Chicago Times. As of Thursday morning, more than 63,000 NIPSCO customers in Northwest Indiana re…
Tens of thousands in Indiana are still without power a week after deadly storms - WXXV News 25
By R.J. RICO and ED WHITE Tens of thousands of people in northwest Indiana remained without power Wednesday, more than a week after deadly storms leveled trees and knocked down power lines across the region. Northern Indiana Public Service Co. said crews were working nonstop to fix the outages, but 75,000 customers still lacked electricity by late afternoon, mostly in Lake County next to the Illinois border. They included more than 20,000 cust…
Tens of thousands in Indiana are still without power a week after deadly storms - WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports
Tens of thousands of people in northwest Indiana remained without power Wednesday, more than a week after deadly storms leveled trees and knocked down power lines across the region. Northern Indiana Public Service Co. said crews were working nonstop to fix the outages, but 75,000 customers still lacked electricity by late afternoon, mostly in Lake County next to the Illinois border. They included more than 20,000 customers in Gary, where residen…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 53% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium























