Trump allowed to suspend de minimis exemption, U.S. court rules
The three-judge panel said Trump could end the tariff break without imposing new duties, preserving more than $1 billion in Customs revenue.
- The U.S. Court of International Trade upheld President Trump's authority to end the de minimis tariff exemption for packages valued at $800 or less, rejecting a legal challenge from an importer.
- The court ruled Trump acted within his power under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to rescind the exemption before its expiration, allowing low-value imports to face ordinary customs duties.
- The policy change took effect on August 29, 2025, eliminating duty-free status for most low-value global parcels, though gifts under $100 sent by individuals remain exempt.
- Trump celebrated the ruling as closing a major loophole exploited by traffickers and counterfeiters, which cost billions in lost tariff revenue and enabled illegal shipments.
45 Articles
45 Articles
US trade court rules Trump may eliminate tariff exemption for low-cost imports
The US Court of International Trade issued summary judgment in favor of the Trump administration on Thursday in a case brought by a US auto-parts dealer challenging a presidential order that closed a tariff loophole for imports under $800. Plaintiff Detroit Axle sued the administration in May 2025 following numerous executive orders under a declared national emergency that sought to establish a vast tariff scheme on goods imported into the US. T…
Court backs Trump on rescinding de minimis tariff exemption
A federal trade court agreed Thursday that President Trump lawfully ended a tariff exemption for low-cost goods last year. Trump did so by invoking the same 1970s-era emergency statute that the Supreme Court ruled he could not use to authorize his sweeping “Liberation Day” tariffs. The U.S. Court of International Trade said ending a tariff exemption is legally…
Court of International Trade Upholds President’s Authority to Shut Down the $800 De Minimis Tariff Loophole — Giant Pipeline for Chinese Junk, Fentanyl, and Tariff Cheats Crushed * The Gateway Pundit * by Jim Hᴏft
Three-judge panel rules that emergency law allows President Trump to suspend duty-free treatment exploited by foreign shippers President Donald Trump scored a major legal victory Thursday when the United States Court of International Trade upheld his authority to close the duty-free “de minimis” loophole for low-value foreign shipments. The post Court of International Trade Upholds President’s Authority to Shut Down the $800 De Minimis Tariff Lo…
‘Ridiculous giveaway’: In big win for president, court allows tariff loophole to be closed * WorldNetDaily * by Bob Unruh
Source link President Donald Trump has been handed a victory in his battle to equalize international trade, so that American consumers and businesses see the same benefits as foreign organizations, with a decision by the U.S. Court of International Trade. That ruled he was allowed to close a loophole in America’s trade policy that essentially
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 55% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

















![[your]NEWS](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgroundnews.b-cdn.net%2Finterests%2Ffb6dc495f74049f513563c33352175eaa0ecd509.jpg%3Fwidth%3D60&w=128&q=75)




















