Spain’s Ceuta Overwhelmed as Thousands Remain After Migrant Border Rush
Authorities are caring for 862 unaccompanied minors, and Spain has allocated 25 million euros to expand reception capacity.
- On Monday, hundreds of migrants remained camped on El Trampolin beach in Spain's North African enclave of Ceuta as local authorities struggled to manage thousands still in the territory after last week's massive border rush.
- Intelligence reports suggest Morocco gradually relaxed border controls during July and allegedly removed them as crowds surged toward the Tarajal crossing during Morocco's Throne Day holiday, though Rabat denies orchestrating the crossing.
- Ceuta's leader Juan Jesus Vivas told broadcaster Telecinco between 3,000 and 5,000 migrants remained in the enclave, adding that its two reception centres had "collapsed," with the official death toll at 72.
- Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares called for reciprocal backing from European Union partners on Monday, criticizing Italy for amplifying misinformation as the bloc scheduled an emergency video conference of interior ministers for Tuesday.
- Vivas told newspaper El Pais there is "no alternative but to put in place whatever means are necessary" to ensure Morocco cannot repeat the crisis, fueling ongoing diplomatic tensions between the two nations.
269 Articles
269 Articles
Ceuta’s Camp of the Saints Moment
Last week, some 70,000 African migrants invaded Ceuta. A coastal town of 84,000 people, Ceuta is the last remnant of Spanish presence in North Africa, along with the town of Melilla further down the Moroccan coast and several other islands. Still, it’s ancient Iberian land. The Portuguese took control of Ceuta in 1415. A few decades later, it became de facto Spanish, and in 1668, the Portuguese formally ceded it to Spain, which has controlled th…
The images surely did not escape you, those of tens of thousands of people flocking to the Spanish enclave of Ceuta, located in Moroccan territory, near the Strait of Gibraltar.
Thousands of migrants remain in Spanish territory after border rush, death toll hits about 100: Ceuta official
Ceuta President Juan Jesus Vivas says 3,000 to 5,000 migrants remain after nearly 80,000 rushed the Spain-Morocco border, calling it an invasion and a humanitarian emergency.
(Seoul = Yonhap News) Reporter Hyun Young-bok = Regarding the treatment of underage migrants remaining in Ceuta, a Spanish autonomous territory in North Africa where a large-scale illegal border crossing occurred, Sp...
The wave of migrants who arrived in the Spanish exclaves Ceuta and Melilla rekindled Madrid's fears about the security of its territories in North Africa. In the context of Morocco's intensification of its claims on the two autonomous cities, Spanish officials wonder how solid the support of NATO and United States allies would be in the event of an escalation of tensions, Politico shows in an analysis.
On social media, a VRT NWS camera crew is being accused of "staging" footage of minors in Ceuta to evoke pity. This is incorrect: the VRT NWS camera crew was on location to make a report about young people, and the footage was not manipulated. The short video clip is being distributed via far-right and pro-Russian channels, among others, to fuel polarization.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 38% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium












































