Award-Winning Ethiopian Journalist Accused Authorities of Abduction
CPJ says the crackdown follows a February license revocation that effectively barred the outlet from operating and came after one editor was held for 24 hours.
7 Articles
7 Articles
Award-winning Ethiopian journalist accused authorities of abduction
Ethiopian security agents abducted, assaulted and detained Yonas Kedir, the editor-in-chief of independent media outlet Addis Standard, the publication said on August 7, the latest sign of a worsening climate for the press. Addis Standard, a print and online outlet, is one of Ethiopia's few independent media platforms, with nearly one million followers on X. FRANCE 24's Tom Canetti reports.
Ethiopia’s Growing Assault on Independent Media
Click to expand Image People read newspapers and magazines on a street in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, November 7, 2020. © 2020 Samuel Habtab/AP Photo Ethiopian authorities are intensifying their assault on media freedom in the country.On August 1, unidentified security personnel detained Yonas Kedir, the editor-in-chief of the Addis Standard, and questioned him for 24 hours about the independent news outlet’s reporting before releasing him, accordin…
Ethiopian security detain Addis Standard editor, raid newsroom, seize equipment
Nairobi, August 6, 2026—The Committee to Protect Journalists calls on Ethiopian authorities to stop their relentless campaign to shutter the Addis Standard, whose editor-in-chief Yonas Kedir was detained and assaulted and its newsroom raided and equipment destroyed, while also receiving an eviction notice in the last week. “These attacks on the Addis Standard and Yonas Kedir represent an alarming escalation in Ethiopian authorities’ campaign to …
Ethiopia: Ethiopian Publication Condemns Violent Office Raid and Staff Abduction
Press Release - JAKENN Publishing PLC wishes to inform its partners, supporters, members of the diplomatic community, human rights groups, press freedom organizations, and the public of a series of grave incidents targeting our organization over the past several days. On Saturday, 01 August 2026, Yonas Kedir, the Editor-in-Chief of Addis Standard, a publication by JAKENN Publishing PLC, reported being abducted by security personnel, physically a…
Addis Standard Editor Secures Release, Publisher’s Office Raided By Security Forces
Yonas Kedir, the editor-in-chief of the widely read Addis Standard, has secured his release from custody of security forces. Jakenn Publishing PLC, publisher of Addis Standard, announced the editor’s release in a statement issued today. The publisher also stated that its office space in Addis Ababa was raided by security officials, who have reportedly ordered it to vacate the premises it has occupied for the last 16 years. Yonas was detained on …
The Addis Standard, one of Ethiopia's few independent media outlets, today denounced a series of intimidations in recent days, marked by the "abduction" of its editor-in-chief, the seizure of equipment and the order of unoccupied facilities.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 75% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium










