Ebola outbreak in Congo spreading exponentially as death toll surpasses 2,500, UN coordinator says
- The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is spreading three times faster than the 2014-2016 West Africa epidemic, marking it as the fastest-growing outbreak on record.
- Caused by the Bundibugyo variant, the 17th recorded DRC outbreak remained undetected until May because diagnostic errors led doctors to misattribute patient symptoms to malaria, typhus, or seasonal flu.
- More than 5,100 infections and 2,420 deaths have been recorded since the outbreak began, with Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Director Jean Kaseya noting 60% to 70% of fatalities occur in communities rather than hospitals.
- Congo will receive 70,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine to support containment efforts, yet the World Health Organization warns it has secured only 60% of the $115 million required for the full epidemic response.
- Although early laboratory and animal data suggest Ervebo may provide some protection against Bundibugyo, the lack of an approved vaccine for this strain and rapid community transmission remain significant obstacles to containment.
145 Articles
145 Articles
The Ebola epidemic that affects the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) continues to advance at an exponential rate when one hundred days after the declaration of the outbreak, which has already claimed the lives of 2,516 people and leaves an affected area that exceeds the size of France, a situation that has led the United Nations to demand an immediate reinforcement of international funding to prevent the response from overflowing.Continue …
The UN humanitarian coordinator for Ebola warned that the outbreak is growing "in an exponential way" and half of the 2,500 deaths have been reported in the last 20 days.
Here you will find information on the topic "Ebola in the Congo". Read now "Ebola outbreak after 100 days remains out of control".
100 days have passed since the Ebola outbreak was announced in Congo on Saturday, more than 5,000 cases of disease have been detected, but everything could be much worse.
Ebola Crisis Escalating as Death Toll Passes 2,500.
The Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak has become the largest in the country’s history, with health workers facing violent attacks amid rising social unrest.PULSE POINTS WHAT HAPPENED: Over 2,500 people have died in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s latest Ebola outbreak, according to the United Nations (UN). DETAIL: The most recent crisis represents the largest Ebola outbreak in the history of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).…
Death Toll in Ebola Outbreak Tops 2,500, Becomes Second-Deadliest in History
The death toll in the Ebola outbreak in Central Africa has surpassed 2,500, authorities said on Aug. 21. Officials have confirmed 2,516 deaths, Congo’s government said in an update. Practically all of the cases and deaths in the outbreak have occurred in Congo, a large nation of around 124 million people that borders the Central African Republic and Uganda, among other countries. Several deaths were logged in Uganda earlier in the year. No case…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 41% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium







































