Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Munich Prosecutors Close Fatal 1970 Antisemitic Arson Case

Investigators say a deceased 25-year-old suspect set the blaze with gasoline mixture, killing seven Holocaust survivors and wounding 15.

  • Munich prosecutors announced on Thursday they have identified the perpetrator of the 1970 antisemitic arson attack that killed seven Holocaust survivors. With the suspect deceased since 2020, authorities have officially closed the file.
  • On Feb 13, 1970, a fire broke out at the Jewish religious community building on Reichenbachstrasse, killing seven and injuring 15 others. Prosecutors said the fire was set using a 'gasoline mixture' sprinkled in a stairwell.
  • A witness provided credible information after the death of a relative who knew the suspect, investigators said. The man was 25 at the time of the attack and was a known far-right antisemite with a 'Hitler obsession.'
  • Posthumous prosecution is not possible in Germany, though authorities stated the new investigation speaks 'clearly' for the suspect's involvement. Investigators found no indications of accomplices in the attack.
  • This resolution ends one of the worst antisemitic attacks in post-war German history more than 56 years after the event. The case had been halted in 2017 before being reopened in April 2025 after the witness came forward.
Insights by Ground AI

43 Articles

Center

German investigators have identified the perpetrator of an antisemitic attack in Munich after 56 years. Seven people were killed in the attack. The perpetrator turned out to be a then 25-year-old far-right man who was obsessed with Hitler and explosives. He has since passed away. Investigators tracked him down after a witness gave new statements.

·Brussels, Belgium
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The suspect, known as the extreme right, died in 2020, but questions remain.

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 48% of the sources lean Right
48% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

berliner-sonntagsblatt.de broke the news on Thursday, August 20, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal