‘Wike didn’t cause Abuja flooding' - FCT Minister’s aide replies critics
Wike said the demolitions will begin immediately as officials move to clear blocked drainage channels and curb future flooding.
- On Tuesday, FCT Minister Nyesom Wike ordered the immediate demolition of houses built on designated waterways in Abuja, directing the exercise to continue until Saturday regardless of owners' wealth or political status.
- The major factors worsening flooding in Abuja include buildings constructed on waterways and property owners blocking channels originally provided in the Abuja Master Plan for stormwater movement.
- Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant to the Minister, defended the FCT Administration on Monday, noting that flooding previously occurred in Wuse, Jabi, and Lokogoma before Wike assumed office.
- Wike directed the FCT Development Control Department to immediately desilt identified drainage channels while the administration introduces new drainage covers designed to resist theft by scavengers.
- The FCT Administration is reviewing the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to reflect current needs of the rapidly expanding city and strengthen drainage and waste management systems against future heavy rainfall.
16 Articles
16 Articles
FCTA begins demolition as encroachment spreads
By Vincent A. Yusuf, Itodo Daniel Sule, Dalhatu Liman, Habeebat Ajayi & Philip Shimnom Clement The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, yesterday directed the immediate demolition of houses and other structures obstructing designated water channels and green spaces across the capital. The exercise came barely three days after heavy rainfall submerged homes, businesses and vehicles in parts of the FCT, including the hi…
Nigeria: FCTA Hits Back At Adeyanju Over Abuja Flooding
The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has dismissed criticism against the FCT minister, Barr. Nyesom Wike, over the flooding recorded in parts of Abuja following last Saturday's heavy rainfal.
Flooding: FCTA reviews 47-yr old Master Plan, blames scavengers, ageing infrastructure
By Omeiza Ajayi ABUJA: The Federal Capital Territory Administration FCTA has disclosed that it is reviewing the 1979 Abuja Master Plan to accommodate new realities in the capital city, even as it attributed recurrent flooding in parts of Abuja to scavengers stealing drainage covers and ageing infrastructure that has failed to keep pace with the […]
‘Wike didn’t cause Abuja flooding' - FCT Minister’s aide replies critics
The Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, Lere Olayinka, has defended the FCT Administration following flooding recorded in parts of Abuja after heavy rainfall on Saturday. Olayinka said flooding was not a new problem in the capital and had occurred before Wike became FCT minister. In a statement on Monday, Olayinka said it was therefore wrong to bl…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 67% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium














