Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Syria foreign minister sees Israel security talks resuming despite no trust

Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said Damascus wants a deal to stop Israeli attacks and secure withdrawal from seized Syrian territory.

  • On Saturday, Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said Syria expects security negotiations with Israel to resume soon, urging Israel to seize a "historic opportunity" for diplomacy as the door remains open.
  • Negotiations froze following the Iran war and the recent Abu al-Duhur airbase strike on Tuesday, though Shaibani noted both sides had earlier "agreed on paper to almost everything" regarding security zones.
  • "We do not trust Israel currently," Shaibani said, adding that "Israel has tried to maintain its security through brute force and it hasn't succeeded," underscoring the need for tangible progress.
  • Washington is pressuring Israel to return to the dialogue table, while Syria insists the priority must be to "stop Israeli aggression even before reaching a security agreement," Shaibani said.
  • Damascus remains focused on rebuilding from 14 years of war, though resolving the state of war since 1948 and territorial disputes over the Golan Heights presents significant long-term obstacles.
Insights by Ground AI

10 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 63% of the sources are Center
63% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Market Screener broke the news in Annecy, France on Sunday, August 23, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal