Trump may declare ‘victory’ in Iran without nuclear deal if Hormuz reopens: WSJ
Trump is prepared to ease military pressure on Iran if Tehran restores shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, while keeping strike options available, officials said.
- President Donald Trump has privately signaled to senior aides that he is willing to end the war with Iran without securing a new nuclear agreement, according to The Wall Street Journal.
- The administration's focus has shifted from a comprehensive nuclear deal to restoring commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, which Iran closed shortly after military conflict broke out in February 2026.
- Trump believes Iran’s nuclear program remains sufficiently contained following U.S. strikes on key nuclear facilities last year, arguing that American intelligence would quickly detect any attempt by Tehran to rebuild.
- Tehran has complicated Washington’s exit strategy by issuing tough demands, requiring the U.S. to pay war reparations, unfreeze Iranian assets, lift the naval blockade, and permanently end sanctions before fully reopening the waterway.
- The White House intends to extend the current ceasefire indefinitely and lift its naval blockade if commercial shipping resumes, allowing Trump to declare a successful resolution ahead of domestic political pressures and upcoming midterm elections.
94 Articles
94 Articles
Is Donald Trump Serious About Declaring Victory Over Iran? - LewRockwell
According to a Wall Street Journal report citing US officials, President Trump has been privately weighing the possibility of declaring victory against Iran and ending the war without securing a nuclear deal, . Trump reportedly has floated to senior aides that if the US can keep Iran’s nuclear program in check and traffic resumes through the Strait of Hormuz, he would be willing to extend the ceasefire “indefinitely” and effectively declare the …
Donald Trump Already Won the Iran War. Ending It Is Tehran’s Problem Now.
The IRGC wants to play the "string this out" card. The problem is that it is their only card. Iran asked for a protracted conflict and Trump has handed it to them — an operational pause that lets American forces rearm and refit while sanctions and the maritime blockade tighten. Every additional day of allied offensive action adds months, and in some cases years, to Iran's rebuilding timeline.
Iran Is Reportedly Refusing to Negotiate With Trump at All — the Plan Appears to Be Waiting Until He Leaves Office
Trump Thinks He Can Wait Out Iran, But Iran Is Doing the Same – President Donald Trump, facing a missile crisis and the reality that Tehran doesn’t cave after weeks-long strike campaigns, appears to have settled on a new strategy for dealing with Iran: wait. After months of military strikes, threats of further attacks, and even a naval blockade that is causing immense economic damage to Iran, Trump said on Sunday, August 9, that the United State…
Trump throws new tantrum as Iran makes bold demand
President Donald Trump issued a new ultimatum for ending the Iran war as peace talks appear to have broken down.Iran's Supreme National Security Council secretary demanded compensation for war damages and an end to U.S. sanctions as a condition for reopening the Strait of Hormuz, and Trump fired off...
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 48% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






































