Indonesia Records over 2,100 Aftershocks After Weekend's Deadly Earthquake
The agency said 24 aftershocks were above magnitude 5 and warned the sequence could continue for three to four weeks.
- Indonesia has recorded 2,119 aftershocks since a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck East Nusa Tenggara on Saturday, August 15, unleashing intense seismic activity across the region.
- Geologists trace both the current activity and a devastating 1992 tsunami to the Flores Back-Arc Thrust beneath the Flores Sea, a fault system that underscores the Ring of Fire's vulnerability.
- The National Disaster Management Agency confirmed 68 deaths and 213 injuries, with roughly 12,800 people displaced and at least 914 houses severely damaged, forcing thousands into temporary shelters.
- Authorities temporarily closed Kelimutu National Park and other tourist sites, while more than 1,800 military and police personnel deployed supplies and two field hospitals began operating in Ruteng.
- The Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency warns aftershocks may persist for another three to four weeks, while the World Bank prepares emergency funding packages for long-term recovery efforts.
11 Articles
11 Articles
Shafaq News - Jakarta: A 5.7-magnitude earthquake struck the Flores region of Indonesia on Wednesday, the latest tremor to hit the area following a powerful quake off the island's coast earlier in the week that killed dozens and injured hundreds. The German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) said the new quake struck at a depth of 10 kilometers. Flores is located in East Nusa Tenggara province, one of Indonesia's most seismically active regio…
BNPB: Labuan Bajo Tourism Activities Return to Normal After 7.7 Magnitude Earthquake in NTT
Indonesia records over 2,100 aftershocks after weekend's deadly earthquake
Indonesia has experienced ongoing intense seismic activity since Saturday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake, recording 2,119 aftershocks so far, local media reported. Indonesia’s Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysical Agency warned the sequence could continue for another three to four weeks, Jakarta Globe reported. The aftershocks ranged from 1.3 to 6.2 magnitude, with 24 measuring above 5, and 70 of them were felt by residents, the agency's director…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium












