Pentagon weighing smaller U.S. military presence in Gulf once Iran war ends: Report
The review could leave damaged Gulf bases unrepaired and shift U.S. forces farther from Iran, officials said, as 40,000 troops remain in the region.
- On Tuesday, The Washington Post reported the Pentagon is evaluating a potential reduction in forces from America across the Gulf, viewing the conflict as "a once-in-a-generation chance for the Pentagon to reconsider its presence in the region."
- Iranian missile and drone strikes on regional bases in Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, and the UAE exposed vulnerabilities in the current basing system, forcing the Pentagon to weigh risks to facilities previously considered essential.
- Former Centcom commander General Frank McKenzie called current basing systems an "artefact," noting forward headquarters 100 miles from Iran create unacceptable risk; former CIA director David Petraeus added in May that America is "not as inclined to occupy these bases."
- Admiral Bradley Cooper, current head of Centcom, has supported discussions about moving troops from the Gulf; the military from America has already begun shifting forces westward, gaining access to Taif Air Base in Saudi Arabia in March after Iranian strikes pummelled Prince Sultan Air Base.
- By potentially bypassing damaged sites and restructuring regional defense, the Pentagon aims to align its military posture with the current realities of Iranian missile threats in a permanent consolidation of forces rather than a reactive measure.
56 Articles
56 Articles
Pentagon Weighs Leaving Persian Gulf After Iran ‘Exposed Vulnerabilities’: Report
Jordan, Israel, and Saudi Arabia have been floated as ‘safer ground’ for US military bases The Pentagon is reassessing its military footprint in Persian Gulf countries after months of losses inflicted by Iran, the Washington Post reported on 18 August. Two people familiar with the ongoing analysis told The Post that one of the central questions before the Pentagon is whether to pull troops back from the Persian Gulf, where the largest US bases o…
Pentagon weighs scaling back US military presence across Persian Gulf: Report
The Pentagon is assessing options to reduce its military presence in the Persian Gulf. Extensive damage from the Iran conflict has prompted this re-evaluation of regional security. Officials are considering repositioning forces further west to minimize exposure to strikes. This potential drawdown carries significant implications for Gulf partners who rely on US security. The war's cost and infrastructure damage present a choice about future base…
Decades of Building Bases Close to Iran Made Them Useful, and That Same Closeness Now Makes Them Easy Target
The Pentagon is considering a major reduction or relocation of American forces in the Persian Gulf after nearly six months of war with Iran exposed just how vulnerable some of the United States’ largest military bases in the region are. The discussions could ultimately result in U.S. troops and military equipment being moved farther west away from installations in Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, and other Gulf states that have faced Iranian missile and …
Pentagon weighs moving U.S. forces away from vulnerable Gulf bases...
The Pentagon is examining whether to reduce or reposition U.S. forces at Persian Gulf installations after Iranian missile and drone attacks damaged or destroyed more than 200 American facilities and exposed the vulnerability of longstanding basing arrangements across the region. The Pentagon is considering a potentially significant reshaping of the U.S. military footprint in the Middle East, including moving personnel away from some Persian Gulf…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium







































