Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Pentagon ties new casualty category for renewed US-Iran fighting to the end of ‘Operation Epic Fury’

The Pentagon said 4 troops killed and dozens wounded in renewed fighting were moved to a separate Overseas Operations category after Operation Epic Fury ended.

  • On Tuesday, the Pentagon moved four soldiers killed and dozens wounded from the Iran war tally into a new 'Overseas Operations' category, citing the conclusion of Operation Epic Fury.
  • Officials cited the conclusion of Operation Epic Fury for the shift, following July 17 strikes in Jordan and Iraq that killed three soldiers, with one additional death occurring in Iraq the next day.
  • While Secretary of State Marco Rubio declared the operation 'concluded' in May, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth recently provided Congress with cost estimates extending through September 30, reflecting official uncertainty about the conflict's actual end.
  • The Defense Casualty Analysis System now reports 642 total wounded troops across both categories, though spokespeople previously attributed the initial removals to 'anomalies' and 'temporary data disruptions' being resolved.
  • Fighting resumed this month after Iran attacked ships in a crucial shipping route, breaking the mid-June interim deal and fueling the volatility that produced these latest casualties.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

28 Articles

Associated Press NewsAssociated Press News
+19 Reposted by 19 other sources
Lean Left

Pentagon ties new casualty category for renewed US-Iran fighting to the end of 'Operation Epic Fury'

The Pentagon says a new, separate category was created in its official casualty system to account for those killed and wounded in the renewed U.S.

·New York, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 52% of the sources are Center
52% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Attack of the Fanboy broke the news on Tuesday, July 28, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal