Carney Says Tone with U.S. Already ‘Quite Firm’ as Trade Talks Continue
Carney said Canada is keeping talks constructive as negotiators seek relief from 50% U.S. tariffs on a broad range of goods.
- On Wednesday, Prime Minister Mark Carney insisted trade negotiations with Washington remain "constructive" as an Aug. 19 deadline for new U.S. tariffs draws near, characterizing Canada's tone as "quite firm."
- President Donald Trump has threatened to impose new 50 per cent tariffs on a wide range of Canadian imports beginning Aug. 19, even on products complying with the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.
- Canada's Minister Dominic LeBlanc met with Trade Representative Jamieson Greer in Washington last week, then met with business leaders and Republican senators to advance talks.
- Asked Wednesday about potential export quotas, Carney declined to comment on specific measures, stating "this is not the time to trigger the options, but we have options."
- The annual review can be renewed each year for up to 10 years, though CUSMA would expire in 2036 if the three countries fail to agree on a path forward.
44 Articles
44 Articles
State's farmers seek fairness in trade talks with Canada
Agricultural groups in California are paying close attention this month to the trade relationship between the U.S. and Canada. The North American neighbor has long been the top export market for agricultural products from California and the U.S. as a whole. But a trade conflict that began shortly after President Donald Trump returned to office last year has put that relationship on fragile footing. “There has been a lot of volatility,” said Jame…
Carney claims that trade negotiations with the US became 'disadvantaged' following Trump's criticisms and threats of new tariffs.
Canada-US trade talks turn nasty after Trump's wider tariff threat
Mark Carney said Canada-US trade talks have turned nasty after Donald Trump's fresh criticism and tariff threats. The clash underscores mounting pressure on jobs, prices and a crucial cross-border trading relationship.
Mark Carney responded to Donald Trump's attacks and stated that Canada will continue to negotiate with the US despite the tariff war and the threat of new taxes.
Carney Says Aluminum Prices Open Way to Trade Deal with Trump
(Bloomberg) — Prime Minister Mark Carney said President Donald Trump’s tariff on foreign aluminum is mostly being paid by US buyers, adding there’s a “win-win” trade deal but only if both countries can address that sector in connection with the broader trade war.
Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre calls on the Carney government to "focus on results" in its negotiations with the United States.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 60% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















