Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Prime Minister Carney Says He Has No Confidence in FIFA President Infantino

Carney said Infantino’s failure to consult FIFA advisers over the abandoned rights plan was a fatal governance failure, fueling wider criticism of the federation.

  • On Wednesday, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said he no longer has confidence in FIFA President Gianni Infantino, citing the soccer leader's mishandling of a failed proposal to sell World Cup commercial rights.
  • Following Infantino's abandoned plan to create a $20 billion company to run the World Cup, Carney described the failure to consult senior advisers as a "fatal" governance failure.
  • UEFA's 55 member associations previously threatened to boycott the World Cup over the plan, while senior adviser Carlos Cordeiro resigned last week, calling the saga a "sad and reproachable series of events."
  • British Prime Minister Andy Burnham joined the criticism last Sunday, calling the FIFA president "the wrong man to lead," as Infantino held a crisis meeting with top officials in Morocco on Wednesday.
  • With the FIFA Congress scheduled for March in Morocco, candidates have until November 18 to enter the race. Canadian businessman Victor Montagliani has emerged as a potential challenger to replace Infantino.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

98 Articles

Lean Right

Bayern coach Vincent Kompany with statements about Fifa-Boss Infantino is holding back, even if he says himself to have a strong opinion about the events of the last days.

·Berlin, Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Left

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has said he no longer has confidence in Gianni Infantino, stepping up pressure on the FIFA leader after his scrapped plan to sell shares in the World Cup sparked a backlash around the world.

·Belgrade, Serbia
Read Full Article
Lean Left

The Canadian Prime Minister joins the flood of criticism that the president of the governing body of football is receiving for his plans to sell part of the World Cup

·Barcelona, Spain
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 55% of the sources lean Left
55% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

NBC LA broke the news in Los Angeles, United States on Wednesday, August 5, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal