Netanyahu Warns Turkey After Israel Strikes Syrian Airbase
Israel said the strike was meant to block a Turkish military buildup and preserve a security status quo, while Syria and Turkey denied any deployment plans.
- On the night of August 17–18, Israeli warplanes struck the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria, causing material damage to runways and hangars in an operation officials claimed aimed to block a Turkish deployment.
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned Turkey against expanding its military role in Syria, asserting the base's use would violate a security 'status quo' and that prior Israeli warnings had been ignored.
- Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani stated the facility was undergoing rehabilitation for domestic use, while Ankara denied any military deployment, maintaining that Turkish personnel visits involved only 'training and the exchange of expertise.'
- U.S. special envoy Tom Barrack expressed 'deep concern' over the strikes, calling them an 'unnecessary escalation,' while Washington works to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Turkey, and Syria.
- Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz accused Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of pursuing 'dangerous adventures' in Syria, reflecting escalating tensions as both nations compete for influence in the post-Assad region.
93 Articles
93 Articles
Israel’s Syria strikes shine light on growing divide with U.S. over Middle East policy
The aftermath of Israeli airstrikes in Syria earlier this week are shining a light on the growing divide between the United States and Israel over how to approach Damascus’ government and its relationship with Turkey. Israel said it struck Syria’s Abu al-Duhur air base in the country’s northwest on Monday based on intelligence that Turkey was preparing to deploy forces there, arguing that such a move would threaten Israeli security. Turkey and S…
Israel received intelligence on Turkey's Syria military expansion plan: Envoy Leiter says 'red line was crossed'
"We are not seeking escalation or war with either Turkey or Syria. But a red line was crossed," Leiter told The Jerusalem Post in an interview.
Turkey Defies Israeli Warning, Vows Continued Military Support for Syria
According to a report from United with Israel, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz delivered a blunt public warning on Thursday to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, accusing Ankara of pursuing risky military involvement in Syria and vowing that Israel would not permit any force to endanger its security. The sharp exchange has heightened already tense […]
Israel warns Syria against Turkish military buildup as Ankara lashes out at Netanyahu
Ambassador Yechiel Leiter says Turkey crossed a ‘red line’ by planning to expand its Syrian military presence; Ankara denies the claim and accuses Netanyahu of fueling regional instability
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 44% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium































