Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

71 Men Arrested in Senegal for 'Unnatural Acts' as Crackdown Intensifies

The public prosecutor said 71 men were charged as the new law doubled prison terms for same-sex acts and added penalties for promoting homosexuality.

  • On Friday, Senegal's public prosecutor's office announced that 71 men were arrested and charged with "unnatural acts," while charges against 28 other defendants were dropped after court appearances.
  • President Bassirou Diomaye Faye signed the legislation into law in March after the National Assembly approved it, doubling penalties for same-sex acts from five to 10 years in prison.
  • More than 100 people have been charged since the law's passage, with the bill introducing fines of up to 10 million CFA francs, or about $17,640, in a nation where average monthly income is around $300.
  • Human Rights Watch researcher Larissa Kojou said the law has created a climate of "constant fear" for LGBTQ people in Senegal, with arrests intensifying due to new state apparatus backing.
  • Senegal is one of several Muslim-majority West African nations to criminalize homosexuality in recent months, though The Human Dignity Trust notes the law was enforced only haphazardly before this year.
Insights by Ground AI

13 Articles

Right

The prosecutor's office in Senegal, a country on the west coast of Africa, announced last Friday that 71 alleged homosexuals had been arrested and charged. During the investigation, charges against 28 men were dropped. In March, the Senegalese National Assembly passed a law doubling the maximum penalty for homosexual acts. The bill stipulates a prison sentence of five to 10 years for "acts against nature" (a term referring to same-sex relations)…

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 75% of the sources lean Left
75% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Noticias ao Minuto broke the news in Portugal on Saturday, August 8, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal