Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

LeBlanc says 'more work to do' as Trump's tariff deadline nears

Negotiators are weighing reductions on steel, aluminum and auto tariffs as Canada faces a 50% duty threat on $28 billion in goods, officials said.

  • On Friday, Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc met U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer in Washington to finalize a deal before the Saturday midnight deadline, aiming to avert $28 billion in U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods.
  • In July, President Donald Trump stated he would impose 50 per cent levies on Canadian goods, citing provincial booze bans, auto tariffs, and quotas on U.S. dairy access, prompting ongoing negotiations toward a legal agreement.
  • Prime Minister Mark Carney asked provincial leaders to lift bans on U.S. alcohol to secure the deal; Ontario Premier Doug Ford remains silent, while Quebec Premier Christine Frechette is weighing the impact on her province.
  • Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre expressed concern Friday that Carney might accept "one-sided tariffs," warning such a deal could leave steel, aluminum, and autos at a competitive disadvantage to the United States.
  • Negotiators are working to finalize legal language for the pact, which would resolve disputes over goods ranging from hockey sticks to plywood, avoiding the looming Saturday implementation of punitive duties.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

37 Articles

Center

“We still have work to do. Our work isn’t finished. We’re going to continue working until the very last minute,” said Canadian Trade Representative Dominic LeBlanc, as he left the offices of White House Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, where the two men had been negotiating since midday. Time is running out for Canada: new 50% tariffs on a range of products, including wine, hockey sticks, and cement, are set to take effect at 12:01 a.m. Satu…

·Issy-les-Moulineaux, France
Read Full Article
CastanetCastanet
+3 Reposted by 3 other sources
Center

LeBlanc says 'more work to do' as Trump's tariff deadline nears

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc says there is still "more work to do" to seal a trade deal with the United States just hours ahead of President Donald Trump's midnight tariff deadline.

·Kelowna, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 62% of the sources lean Left
62% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

La Presse broke the news in Montreal, Canada on Friday, August 21, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal