Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas track meet killing
Anthony’s lawyers say the June trial was tainted by courtroom restrictions, jury instructions and a judge’s post-verdict comments.
- On Thursday, a judge will consider whether to grant Karmelo Anthony a new trial following his murder conviction for stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet last year. Anthony, now 19, was sentenced to 35 years in prison.
- Anthony's lawyers argue a retrial is warranted because District Judge John Roach enforced overly strict courtroom rules and gave incomplete jury instructions during the June trial. Jurors rejected Anthony's self-defense claims in less than three hours.
- In a legal victory for Anthony, District Judge John Roach was removed from the case on Wednesday after his attorneys argued his TV interview showed bias. Roach had told the station jurors "got it right" regarding the guilty verdict.
- Judge Michael Chitty was assigned to consider the motion for a new trial following Roach's removal. Anthony attended Wednesday's hearing wearing a green prison jumpsuit as his parents and Metcalf's family observed the proceedings.
- The case gained significant national attention amid social media posts amplifying the killing in racial terms. As the situation intensified last year, the families of both Metcalf and Anthony reported that they had been targets of harassment.
102 Articles
102 Articles
Karmelo Anthony's lawyer asks for new trial over track meet killing as new details emerge
The Texas prosecutor who oversaw Karmelo Anthony's conviction in a deadly stabbing at a high school track meet said Thursday that both sides had agreed to hold back evidence that risked further inflaming a case already boiling with racial tensions and death threats.
Hearing Underway On Karmelo Anthony's Bid For New Trial In Track Meet Stabbing
A Texas judge is hearing arguments Thursday on whether Karmelo Anthony should get a new trial, two months after a jury convicted and The hearing comes a day after the Collin County judge who presided over the murder trial was removed from further proceedings in the case. Prosecutors called the deadly stabbing “unjustified” and “plain and simple murder,” while the defense argued that Anthony acted in self-defense when he stabbed 17-year-old Austi…
Karmelo Anthony Trial: Defense argues 19-year-old convicted murderer deserves a new trial
Follow live court hearing coverage for Karmelo Anthony. Defense attorneys are arguing for a new trial following his murder conviction for the stabbing death of Austin Metcalf at a Frisco track meet.
Teen convicted of murder at track meet fantasized about stabbing and ‘licking the blood off the blade’: Prosecutors
MCKINNEY, Texas (Court TV) — Attorneys for a teenager convicted of stabbing another student to death at a Texas track meet returned to court to fight for a new trial in front of a new judge one day after the trial judge was recused from the case. Karmelo Anthony appears in court. (Sketch by Pat Lopez) Karmelo Anthony, 19, was sentenced to 35 years in prison after a jury found him guilty of murdering 17-year-old Austin Metcalf. The two teenagers,…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 59% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





























