Axe Hangs over Australian Batters After Darwin 'Disaster'
The defeat has intensified pressure to overhaul Australia’s batting, with selectors considering changes before the second Test in Mackay.
- On Sunday, August 16, 2026, top-ranked Australia suffered a historic nine-wicket loss to Bangladesh in Darwin, as the visitors dominated the four-day Test match.
- Australian media on Monday, August 17, 2026, slammed the defeat as "a disaster" and the "most embarrassing" ever, reflecting Bangladesh's dominance throughout the clash.
- Jake Weatherald and Marnus Labuschagne face being axed after averaging under 27 since late 2025, while Steve Smith and Cameron Green remained exceptions with stronger performances.
- Selectors may replace Weatherald with Matt Renshaw for the second Test in Mackay on Saturday, August 22, 2026, while younger players like Sam Konstas and Campbell Kellaway await opportunities.
- Former captain Ricky Ponting, who scored more than 13,000 Test runs, said it was time for tough decisions, while Australian great Mark Waugh urged the team to "bite the bullet at some stage" before facing South Africa in October.
12 Articles
12 Articles
Axe hangs over Australian batters after Darwin 'disaster'
The clash in Darwin had been touted as a mismatch after Bangladesh crumbled to an innings defeat in their only warm-up game and went into the first Test without injured pace spearhead Nahid Rana. But in one of the biggest upsets cricket has seen, the visitors pulled off a historic victory Sunday to leave top-ranked Australia shell-shocked and facing recriminations. Australia have suffered surprise home defeats in the recent past, including an ei…
Pat Cummins hints at changes after Bangladesh 'outplayed Australia in all facets' in Darwin
Australia captain Pat Cummins has kept the door open for any changes to the team for the second Test match against Bangladesh, following their drubbing in Darwin on Sunday.
'It's a 50/50 Call...
Get latest articles and stories on Sports at LatestLY. Former Australian cricketer and selector Mark Waugh said that it is a "50/50" call on Jake Weatherald and Marnus Labuschagne for the second Test against Bangladesh after a painful loss in the first and if they go, "it would be the end of them at Test level". Sports News | 'It's a 50/50 Call...": Mark Waugh on Labuschagne, Weatherald's Inclusion in Second Bangladesh Test.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 38% of the sources are Center, 37% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium








