Infantino sorry for errors but stays Fifa president
FIFA said 20% of the proposed commercial unit would have been sold to private investors and that the plan was permanently abandoned after a backlash.
- On Wednesday, FIFA President Gianni Infantino convened an emergency staff meeting in Rabat, Morocco, amid mounting pressure following the collapse of plans to sell 20 per cent of FIFA Forward Enterprise to private investors.
- The controversial proposal to commercialize tournaments sparked internal turmoil, leading FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom to email staff about a "sad and reproachable series of events" before the project was permanently abandoned last Saturday.
- Threatening a boycott, UEFA declared it has "lost confidence" in Infantino and is "actively considering" legal action, ordering FIFA to preserve documents related to the scrapped sell-off scheme.
- Seeking a majority of 19, FIFA Council members intend to stage a "governance boycott" that could effectively render the organization incapable of operating if their demands are refused.
- A deep global divide remains as Infantino faces accusations of "blackmail" from Jordan Football Association president Prince Ali bin Hussein, though he retains backing from several African and Asian federations.
541 Articles
541 Articles
FIFA’s top executives were given an ultimatum to sell stake in World Cup
The five men should have been in a celebratory mood. FIFA had just pulled off a World Cup that broke records on a number of fronts. Its spectacular culmination, the final, was a day away from kickoff. The post FIFA’s top executives were given an ultimatum to sell stake in World Cup appeared first on West Hawaii Today.
Africa: FIFA Executives Rally Behind Infantino Despite Commercial Plan Fiasco
Gianni Infantino's position as world football's most powerful administrator appeared more secure on Thursday after senior Fifa executives backed him to remain president despite his failed attempt to overhaul the commercial operations behind competitions including the World Cup.
Te Pāti Māori says it has moved on from the chaos. Will Māori voters agree?
Te Pāti Māori is asking voters to focus on its vision for the future, but the fallout from last year’s dramatic split remains impossible to ignore. There’s a saying in te ao Māori: Tūngia te ururua, kia tupu whakaritorito te tupu o te harakeke. Set fire to the overgrown brush, so the new shoots of the flax can spring up. Te Pāti Māori will be hoping it can clear away the old and start afresh as it campaigns ahead of November’s general election. …
In the tug of war for the power in the world football, the defeated Fifa president scrapes the administration behind him and admits mistakes. But the opposition remains large. The judiciary is also supposed to investigate.
Infantino strengthened after FIFA crisis meeting
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium










































