Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Law Firm with Ties to Trump Administration Declines Offer to Represent Migrant Children

ORR said services for unaccompanied children will continue through Dec. 31, 2026, as it seeks another provider after Burke withdrew.

  • On Wednesday, the Houston-based Burke Law Group declined a $150 million federal contract to represent unaccompanied migrant children, and the Office of Refugee Resettlement confirmed the firm withdrew from consideration.
  • After contracts with nearly 100 providers expired at the end of July, the administration announced plans to award Burke Law Group a no-bid contract to fill the resulting service gap in legal representation.
  • Burke Law Group, with fewer than 30 lawyers and only two with immigration experience, drew immediate advocacy concern; founder Marcella Burke served in President Donald Trump's first administration at the EPA and Interior Department.
  • ORR awarded a $20 million temporary contract through December 31, 2026 to the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants; however, attorneys appeared unannounced in immigration court last week, sparking confusion.
  • It remains unclear how representation will continue after USCRI's contract expires, as attorney Caelin Moriarity Miltko argued interim contracts are 'not sufficient' to comply with court orders given providers' ethical obligations to current clients.
Insights by Ground AI

68 Articles

abc 6 Philadelphiaabc 6 Philadelphia
+6 Reposted by 6 other sources
Center

Houston law firm with ties to Trump administration declines offer to represent migrant children

A small law firm with ties to the Trump administration declined a $150 million contract to represent unaccompanied migrant children, authorities said Wednesday.

·Philadelphia, United States
Read Full Article
El DiarioEl Diario
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Center

McALLEN, Texas, U.S. (AP) — A small Texas law firm linked to President Donald Trump’s government rejected a $150 million federal contract to represent migrant children who entered the United States without an adult company, authorities said Wednesday, raising long-term doubts about who will represent them. The government announced last week a plan to award the contract to Burke Law Group, a Houston-based office with little immigration experience.

Spectrum Local NewsSpectrum Local News
+3 Reposted by 3 other sources
Center

Law firm declines offer to represent migrant children

The administration last week announced plans to award the contract to the Burke Law Group, a Houston-based firm with little experience in immigration.

·United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 62% of the sources are Center
62% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

KDFW broke the news on Wednesday, August 12, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal