Wenger says scrapping Infantino's World Cup plan was "absolutely necessary"
Wenger said scrapping the proposal was necessary after FIFA faced backlash over a plan to sell about 20% of World Cup commercial rights for $4.2 billion.
- On Tuesday, Aug 4, FIFA Chief of Global Football Development Arsene Wenger criticized President Gianni Infantino's proposal to sell a 20 per cent stake in the World Cup through the FIFA Forward Enterprise.
- UEFA, the European football governing body, threatened to boycott the World Cup and other FIFA competitions after the FFE scheme faced heavy rejection from three continental confederations, forcing the Swiss to abandon the idea.
- Wenger called the withdrawal "absolutely necessary and beyond question." His public criticism followed FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, who stated last week that staff at the global governing body had been "deceived" by Infantino.
- The FAW confirmed it withdrew support on Aug 3, while UEFA issued a statement Aug 1 noting it had "lost confidence" in Infantino. The English Football Association is also reportedly contacting FIFA.
- Infantino faces re-election in March for a final term and needs 106 votes from 211 members to win. European Football Clubs have expressed concern regarding the scheme's impact on Club World Cup competition rights.
151 Articles
151 Articles
The failed plan to open the World Cup and other competitions to private investment caused a rift that compromises Gianni Infantino, president of FIFA
FIFA acknowledged Wednesday, at a meeting held in Rabat, that it made mistakes in its failed FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) project, through which it intended to sell World Cup shares to private investors
Fifa President Gianni Infantino and General Secretary Mattias Grafström published this Wednesday a letter in which they apologize for having had the plan to open the global forum to private investors. In the same document, the executive office of Fifa and Mattias Grafström...
Arsene Wenger speaks out on Infantino’s abandoned World Cup proposal
Senior FIFA executive Arsene Wenger has made his stance on boss Gianni Infantino’s scrapped World Cup plans clear. In an official statement through FIFA, the chief of global football development demanded “transparency” from the governing body and cleared the air on his involvement in Infantino’s investment plans, per the BBC. Wenger preached loyalty to FIFA’s...
'Gone down like a lead balloon': Ex-FA boss on FIFA's World Cup backflip
David Gallop was Football Australia CEO when Gianni Infantino took over the FIFA presidency from the corruption-stained run of Sepp Blatter, he says Infantino's World Cup proposal stank.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 42% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


































