Feds’ proposal to alter Head Start could ‘dismantle’ program in Virginia, parents and advocates say
The proposal would cut administrative spending caps from 15% to 5% and could add up to 236,000 child care slots, HHS said.
- Earlier this month, the Trump Administration proposed significant changes to Head Start, with HHS Secretary Robert Kennedy Jr. stating the plan seeks to "remove unnecessary bureaucracy" and open the program to hundreds of thousands more children.
- For more than 60 years, Head Start has prepared millions of low-income children for kindergarten with bipartisan support. The Department of Health and Human Services claims the overhaul could create up to 236,000 new spaces by leveraging existing state standards.
- Opponents, including the Virginia Head Start Association , warn the plan reduces administrative funding from 15% to 5% and eliminates classroom ratios. VAHSA Executive Director Dawn Ault argued these changes "strip away the standards" essential for supporting families.
- Tamie Rittenhouse, Head Start director at the Children's Center in Western Tidewater, called the proposal a "backdoor approach to dismantle the program." Critics also argue that making parent committees optional will stifle vital family input on program design.
- Public comments on the proposed rulemaking remain open until Oct. 6. National Education Association president Becky Pringle urged officials to preserve quality standards, stating "we should be investing in the educators and programs that give every child the opportunity to succeed.
12 Articles
12 Articles
6 controversial Head Start proposals that would affect Lincoln families
As the Trump administration works to eliminate regulations for Head Start programs across the country, some Lincoln advocates worry that the move will harm the city's poorest children and families.
Feds’ proposal to alter Head Start could ‘dismantle’ program in Virginia, parents and advocates say
Amanda Daugherty, a mother from Nottoway County, valued the Head Start program in Virginia because it closely reflected her values and experience before she was hired by the program in October 2021. Less than six months later, the program came…
Head Start reforms threaten early child development standards - Maine Beacon
Advocates for children in Maine warned the Trump administration’s proposed deregulation of the Head Start program will negatively affect services used by some of the state’s most vulnerable families. The rollback could alter reading standards and nutritional guidelines, increase class sizes and limit access to important medical and dental screenings. Rita Furlow, senior policy analyst for the Maine Children’s Alliance, said the changes could ero…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 78% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium














