Exclusive-US Plans $725 Million Payment Towards Its Large UN Debt
- On Friday, the Trump administration initiated a $725 million transfer to the United Nations, according to a State Department notification letter to Congress viewed by Reuters.
- Washington previously withheld funds citing "policy-based withholdings," including $10.6 million for the Human Rights Council and money for the Palestinian Refugee Agency.
- United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres stated this year the UN faced "imminent financial collapse" due to unpaid contributions, prompting the institution to implement "UN80" cost-cutting reforms.
- Former United Nations official Eugene Chen told Reuters the transfer would help pay salaries but may not cover all obligations, stating "It keeps the ship afloat a little longer."
- The funds are set to transfer before President Donald Trump addresses the United Nations General Assembly next month in New York, though the $725 million represents less than 20% of the more than $4 billion the UN says Washington owes.
17 Articles
17 Articles
US plans to pay $850 million of the $5 billion it owes the United Nations
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government has notified Congress of its plans to pay $850 million of the several billion it owes to the United Nations, the largest payment the Trump administration would make to the world body since it…
The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to pay $725 million to the United Nations, according to a notification to the Legislature seen by Reuters, in a move that humanitarian aid experts described as a welcome step toward paying billions of dollars in overdue contributions. Also read: Supreme Court allows Trump to continue White House ballroom construction temporarily US leads 'war on terror' against cartels for land targe…
US plans to pay $725 million to UN despite debt in billionsThe US has begun the process of transferring $725 million to the UN. The amount would cover less than 20% of the organization's reported debt. Washington.
(New York = Yonhap News) Correspondent Lim Soo-jung = It has been reported that the Donald Trump administration has initiated procedures to pay approximately 1 trillion won of its overdue contributions to the United Nations...
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


















