Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Mystery Drones Breach Australian F-35 Base

Defence said multiple drones reportedly breached restricted airspace near Newcastle Airport and RAAF Base Williamtown, and police received reports, officials said.

  • The Daily Telegraph revealed "multiple confirmed" uncrewed aircraft systems breached restricted airspace over RAAF Base Williamtown and Newcastle Airport between July 11 and 13, with Defence Industry Minister Pat Conroy confirming the reports accurate.
  • Williamtown, located 30 kilometres north of Newcastle, serves as Australia's premier fighter pilot training base, housing most of the Royal Australian Air Force's F-35A fleet alongside Newcastle Airport.
  • The Australian Defence Force referred the incidents to the New South Wales Police Counter-UAS Unit for investigation, but authorities have not identified the operators or recovered any drones.
  • Conroy stated on Monday that the police investigation has concluded without disclosed findings, while emphasizing the government is investing heavily in technology to detect and defeat unmanned aircraft.
  • Australia updated its Defence Regulations last year to authorize military personnel to seize, disable, or destroy drones, though no evidence currently links the incursions to foreign governments.
Insights by Ground AI

10 Articles

Sydney Morning HeraldSydney Morning Herald
+3 Reposted by 3 other sources
Lean Left

Unidentified drones fly over Australian air bases

ASIO is being urged to investigate how 147 unidentified drones flew over Australian air bases.

·North Sydney, Australia
Read Full Article

Unidentified drones flew over one of Australia's most important air bases, where the country's F-35A fighters are based, the Daily Telegraph newspaper reported, as reported by the Ukrainian news agency Unian on Wednesday.

The incursion of unidentified drones on an Australian base has posed major security problems for the army and authorities, especially that it is not known who will handle them in restricted space.

·Bucharest, Romania
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 63% of the sources lean Left
63% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Newcastle Herald broke the news in Newcastle, Australia on Monday, August 10, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal