Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Prince Harry and six others ordered to pay initial £9.5m to Daily Mail publisher

The judge said the claims were speculative and lacked evidence, and ANL’s legal bill was more than £34 million, court documents said.

  • On Friday, a High Court judge ordered Prince Harry and six other claimants to pay an initial £9.5 million to Associated Newspapers Limited by August 28, 2026, following dismissal of their invasion-of-privacy lawsuit.
  • Mr Justice Matthew Nicklin dismissed the case last month after an 11-week trial, ruling the allegations were "speculative and substantially inferential" and "lacked a proper evidential foundation."
  • Facing a potential £34 million total liability, the claimants are personally responsible for remaining millions because their legal insurance covers only £16.2 million.
  • ANL characterized the ruling as "a devastating critique of an attempt to destroy a newspaper and the reputations of its journalists, editors and executives."
  • Harry and Meghan Markle will relocate from the United States to the United Kingdom later this month, following the public announcement made Wednesday.
Insights by Ground AI

79 Articles

Lean Left

The defeat in court against the tabloids will cost dear to Prince Harry and the other six VIPs who accused Associated Newspaper Limited, publisher of the Daily Mail, of hacking their phones to collect information about their lives by violating their privacy, in an illegal manner. King Charles III's son, Elton John and his husband David Furnish, Liz Hurley and the other VIPs involved in the millionaire cause who saw them defeated, have only one w…

·Rome, Italy
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The prince and the singer, along with five other celebrities, will have to pay £9.54 million on a provisional basis for the judicial costs of the proceedings for alleged violation of privacy

·Vicente López, Argentina
Read Full Article
Lean Right

Prince Harry and six other prominent British figures, including singer Elton John and actress Liz Hurley, must pay the publisher of the tabloid Daily Mail 9.5 million pounds before 4:00 PM. This is equivalent to just over 11 million euros. In early July, they lost a protracted legal battle at the High Court in London against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over what Harry and co. called "persistent violations of their privacy." In addition …

·Hilversum, Netherlands (Kingdom of the)
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 44% of the sources are Center
44% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

KJRH broke the news on Friday, August 21, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal