Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Attacks on aid workers hit record high in 2025, UN says

The toll included 350 deaths, while armed drones and attacks on convoys added to risks for aid teams, the UN said.

  • The United Nations humanitarian office reported 350 aid workers were killed globally in 2025, setting 'another grim record for violence against aid workers' despite a slight decrease from 387 deaths in 2024.
  • Gaza remained the deadliest context for aid workers for the third consecutive year, with 186 personnel killed amid Israel's war, while Sudan ranked second with 71 deaths during the ongoing civil war.
  • UN officials warned that the proliferation of 'cheap and adaptable armed drones' exposes humanitarian personnel to increasing danger, with these weapons causing 80% of civilian deaths in Sudan during early 2026.
  • Tom Fletcher, U.N. under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator, stated 'More than 1,000 aid workers have been killed in just three years and that is utterly unacceptable,' urging accountability.
  • Violence continues in 2026, with the UN humanitarian office reporting at least 82 aid workers killed, 97 injured, and 39 kidnapped worldwide so far, indicating risks remain largely unabated.
Insights by Ground AI

53 Articles

Center

A total of more than 900 workers were killed, injured or abducted.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 36% of the sources lean Left
36% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Al-Monitor broke the news in Washington, United States on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal