Published 6 hours ago • loading... • Updated 1 hour ago
At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says
Two survivors were rescued, and one remained in critical condition after the boat capsized on a route used for Europe-bound migration, a rights group said.
On Saturday, Mostafa Abdelkebir, head of the Tunisian Observatory, reported that at least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing toward Italy. The vessel departed early on Thursday.
The central Mediterranean remains one of the world's deadliest migration routes, where migrants from Africa and the Middle East often use overcrowded or unseaworthy boats to reach Europe.
One of the two survivors told rescuers they were stranded at sea for hours after the boat capsized, while Abdelkebir reported the second survivor is in critical condition.
Migrant departures from Tunisia have fallen sharply over the past two years, following a government crackdown and tighter maritime controls backed by European funding and equipment from Italy.
Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International stated last month that the EU-Tunisia migration deal fueled abuses, calling on European officials to suspend funding for Tunisian security forces.
At least 13 Tunisian migrants, 16 according to other sources, are dispersed after the shipwreck, yesterday, of a boat from the coast of Ben Guerdane, in the southeast of Tunisia, and directed towards Italy. (ANSA)
A boat that carried migrants towards Italy sank on the coast of Tunisia, leaving at least 13 Tunisians missing, reported today Mostafa Abdelkebir, head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights.What HappenedThe boat departed n