ABC says Trump intimidation forced programming changes
ABC said Trump administration pressure led it to avoid booking political candidates on The View, a move the network linked to fears of retaliation.
- ABC sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday, alleging President Donald Trump's administration used early license reviews to punish the network and force programming compromises, including restricting political guests on "The View."
- Trump has repeatedly called for the FCC to revoke ABC's licenses since 2024, most recently after the network declined last month to air his prime-time address on election security.
- The FCC issued 600 requests for information, yielding 13,000 pages of documents, while scrutinizing eight Disney-owned stations whose licenses were not scheduled for renewal until 2028 to 2031.
- ABC stated it now evaluates political invitations for potential consequences, as the network has refrained from booking candidates on "The View" for fear of retaliatory action.
- Describing the strategy as a "policy of intimidation," journalism professor Gabriel Kahn of the University of Southern California's Annenberg School argued it forces media organizations to cower, infringing on First Amendment rights.
28 Articles
28 Articles
ABC says Trump intimidation forced programming changes
The network said it made changes, such as refraining from booking political candidates on "The View," for fear of retaliation.
ABC says intimidation by Trump's FCC forced programming changes
ABC is accusing U.S. President Donald Trump's administration of employing pressure tactics that have forced the television network to make programming compromises.
The View Had to Stop Booking Politicians Because Trump’s FCC Threatened to Revoke ABC’s License
A federal lawsuit says pressure from Trump’s FCC pushed the show’s producers to quietly stop inviting political candidates on air. The same pressure got a few political clips pulled from “Hot Topics” and the cold open, too. President Donald Trump, wearing a red MAGA cap, shouts to reporters after stepping off Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland on August 16, 2026, as a uniformed airman salutes nearby. Photo by Samuel Corum / Getty Imag…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 89% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium















