Trump pauses 50% tariffs on goods from Canada, says two sides have a deal
- President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social that the U.S. will postpone a 50% tariff on approximately $20 billion worth of Canadian imports by three days.
- Canada had threatened to retaliate against new tariffs with levies of its own, aggravating a trade fight between countries that exchanged $880 billion in goods and services last year.
- Trump stated the two countries reached a deal aiming to resume construction of the controversial Keystone pipeline project, though neither released details on cooling Canada's animosity.
- Still hanging in the balance is a sweeping free trade agreement between the U.S. and its two largest trading partners: Canada and Mexico, amid ongoing trade uncertainty.
- This uncertainty could discourage businesses from investing in North America, as Trump has a history of changing his stance on trade matters regarding the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
430 Articles
430 Articles
Good Morning, News: Canadian Tariffs Paused, the Fight to Save Sunflower Stars From Extinction, and Multnomah County's Fight Against Oil and Gas Companies Continues in Court
The Mercury provides news and fun every single day—but your help is essential. If you believe Portland benefits from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your support! Good morning, Portland! Happy hump day. Not to jinx anything, but we’ve […] The post Good Morning, News: Canadian Tariffs Paused, the Fight to Save Sunflower Stars From Extin…
Trump says US and Canada have reached last-minute deal to delay 50% US tariffs on Canadian imports - WSVN 7News | Miami News, Weather, Sports
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Tuesday he was delaying the 50% U.S. tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports after the two countries reached a last-minute...
Trump says U.S. and Canada reached last-minute deal to delay 50% US tariffs on Canadian imports
The announcement, which Trump made on his social media platform, buys time for more negotiations and avoids, for now, another strain in already tense relations between the historic allies.
Trump Teases Zapping Keystone XL Pipeline Back To Life In Major Tariff Announcement
Donald Trump teased bringing the long-stalled Keystone XL pipeline back to life Tuesday as part of a preliminary trade agreement with Canada.
Steelworkers welcome tariff pause, call on the government to hold the line for Canadian workers and jobs
TORONTO, Aug. 19, 2026 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — United Steelworkers union (USW) National Director Marty Warren issued the following statement on the postponement of additional 50% U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods and ongoing Canada-U.S. trade negotiations: “The pause on another round of 50% tariffs is welcome news for Canadian workers. The progress reported in negotiations is […]
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 46% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium











































